View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Sleeping too much 

Post Sleeping too much
Mom used to get up two or three times a night. The only time she was up all night, so far, was years ago when she was diagnosed with anxiety and given Lexapro, which she still takes.

Now my concern is just the opposite of the up all night thing. Mom is, on the weekends when her PCA doesn't get her at 7:30 up for daycare, sleeping from about 7:00 p.m. to noon the next day. She greets the news that "tomorrow is Saturday or Sunday" with tremendous relief, almost as if she were working an onerous job on weekdays.

Is this something I should be concerned with? Or do you think this is just normal tiredness? Or part of her depression, seeing no reason to get up?

I'm content to let her get the sleep she needs/wants. But if this is a symptom of something more, I'm concerned that I'm missing things.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Kate

Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:19 pm

Post Re: Sleeping too much
I assume she wants/needs the sleep. My only concern is that on other days perhaps she is needing more sleep?

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:32 pm

My mom sleeps a lot too. She'll sleep from 8:00 pm till 11:00 am and only wakes then because I wake her. She only takes a very low dose of Seroquel at night for the hallucinations. Most days, she's back asleep by 1:00 and usually sleeps till I wake her for supper around 5:30. I think they must need the sleep or maybe, in my mom's case since she can't get up anymore, it helps the day pass by. Even when I'm reading to her or watching a DVD, she'll still fall asleep. I just try to spend time doing something with her whenever she's awake. She did perk up this weekend when my grandson (new 2 wk old) came to see her. It was amazing how she stayed awake and held him! So precious.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:36 pm
Profile YIM

From what I've read and observed, people with neurological disorders need more sleep than healthier individuals. And, it seems that the further along they are in their dementia the more sleep they need. My neighbor who had multiple brain tumors over a 15 year period had to take a long nap by mid afternoon every day and slept for about 4 hours. If he didn't get the nap in time, he would have seizures. His sleep pattern was totally different from when he was healthy.
My dad sleeps most of the time now, and whether it's from boredom, depression, weakness or whatever, he at least isn't miserable and yelling for help like he does again while he is awake. I think he only is awake for meals now, from what I can tell (not that he actually eats the meals!). Lynn

Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:16 pm

Thanks, all. My instinct has been to let her sleep, and since it sounds pretty normal now, I'll let sleeping Moms lie.

Robin, I wouldn't be surprised if she needed more sleep, but that's not in the cards. She goes to day care so that I can go to work and I can't afford a PCA to stay with her at home for more than a couple of hours each day. They have started getting Mom to sit in a recliner and nap at daycare, so I'm hoping that helps.

In a dementia unit or SNF, would they let her sleep in or would they push her to get up and take part in things? I want to keep her home, but I'm not sure if that's for me or for her.

Kate

Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:51 pm

Katelu, in the dementia care facility my husband was in last summer, they did NOT push the residents to participate. In fact, I was rather disappointed that they did not push him more. They did not make him get up for the evening meal if he chose not to [the main meal was at noon]. He lost weight there in just three months. It was an excellent facility in most respects, had a clean slate from the state surveys and very caring and knowledgeable staff. It's just their philosophy not to push. So I think it varies from facility to facility. You might just ask them.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:21 pm

In any care facility I'm aware of, residents would not be awakened and forced to attend activities if they are asleep.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:14 am

My dad sleeps a lot, and if he is asleep I think they try to maintain the status quo. They do try to get him to participate in activities and go to meals in his wheelchair, but in over a year he has not participated in much of anything. Now he is very combative at meal times, quite often, so they are feeding (or trying to feed) him in his room when he puts up a fight about going to the dementia unit for his meals. Lynn

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:06 am

My MIL will get up at 9 am and stay awake during the week when the CG is here, almost as if she is the hostess, or afraid the CG will steal something. But on the weekends, she sleeps until 10 or 11 am and takes two to three hour naps in the afternoons. I think some of the issue is that she can't tell what time it is on the weekends. During the week she watches the Today Show followed by Hoda and Kathie Lee, then comes Dr. Oz, news at noon, Ellen, Let's make a Deal, Dr. Phil, etc. until bedtime. On the weekends she watches the TV guide listings scroll over and over, and sleeps. If I put a show on that she might like she'll forget during the commercials and go back to watching the TV guide channel. Not much of an existence, but she's content and that's the bottom line.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:33 pm

What is the standard for "sleeping too much?" I have slept "too much" all of my life, which has proven inconvenient in an early-rise world. While sleeping until 10-11 am and then taking 3 hour naps in the afternoon are outside the norm, some of us need it.

Also, I wonder why some think their LO's should be up and interacting with others when they may be better off asleep? Sleep is not the enemy, and well may be the Lewy patient's friend.

Gail

Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:33 pm

I suppose that I may be oversensitive to sleeping too much. I have a sister who slept through a large chunk of her children's lives because of severe depression and PTSD. Depression runs in the family and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between depression symptoms and Lewy symptoms.

To me, sleeping too much is having to be emphatically awakened so that she takes her morning meds by noon. It's having to be awakened by 2:00 p.m. for lunch, taking a couple of bites and then falling asleep again. It's sleeping so much of the day that she is not awake enough to get anywhere near the daily recommended amount of fluids each day and getting so dehydrated that she needs an ER visit occasionally.

I probably have an issue when it comes to the woman Mom really is (or was) and all of this sleep. This is not like my mother, nor is it like any woman of her family. Sitting in front of the TV, awake or asleep, has always been repugnant to Mom. Now she sits in front of it watching CNN (or sleeping to it, more like) whenever she is out of bed. She won't even go outside to her gardens unless my "never say no" sister gets her as far as the patio. If there was something to do, Mom was always doing it. Now she doesn't even notice. I've believed that she watches TV only if there is a simple story line that is easy to follow, like movies made 40 or 50 years ago. Now she finds even them hard to follow and falls asleep during some of her old favorites.

I'm trying to come to terms with this, but I know Mom would hate this if she realized it. It is so counter to who she really is. Mom always faced life head on and wide awake. She never tolerated sleeping until noon in any of her children. And with her first two great-grandchildren on the way and a wedding in June, I'm afraid she'll be sleeping 24 hours/day and completely miss these things.

To me, sleeping too much is totally missing out on the big events of your life. Sleeping too much is when you need to go to the ER for an IV when you can't be awake long enough to even drink a couple of bottles of water over the course of the day.

I know this largely comes from Lewy. But I start to wonder why the body keeps going when the mind so obviously wants to shut out life and just sleep. It's painful for everyone who has to live with it or observe it.

Kate

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:33 am

Kate - we have a lot of new things to adjust to, don't we, when our LO's health continues to decline? Sleeping more, eating less, being disinterested in former activities, it's all part of their declining health. Learning to not expect what used to be can be a big adjustment for us. Like so many people have said in other postings, just enjoy the moments that you can, as they get fewer and fewer, but they do sneak in there once in a while! Lynn

Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]