View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Crowds/ overstimulation increas symptoms? 

Post Crowds/ overstimulation increas symptoms?
Have noticed increased disorientation and confusion followwed by intense fatigue after a simple shopping trip. Anyone else noticed that busy places such as a store , or any crowds cause an increase in symptoms of confusion and fatigue? Seems like it makes symptoms so much worse./b]

[b]Paula55[color=#0000BF][/color][/b]

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:39 am

Post Re: Crowds/ overstimulation increas symptoms?
Yes Paula, this is very common and one of the reasons I believe strict routine is important, it just takes too much energy ( for them) to keep up with Life as we knew it ! This why the caregivers life becomes smaller and smaller and why respite is so very important in caring for the caregiver!

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:46 am
Profile WWW

I agree with Irene, and I thank you for asking the question. Considering it has helped reinforce what I knew to be true.

My mother is in a dementia unit now, in the advanced stages of (probable) LBD. I'd been flirting with the notion that if I could at least bring her to my house for a visit, it might trigger some spark. But as the logical side of my brain kept telling me, it's not a good idea. After all, simply transferring from chair to wheelchair causes agitation, and getting her here and into the house would be far more difficult.

I'm back down to reality. I don't like it one bit, but here I am.

Garnet

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:03 am

Yes, I have noted this in my husband, too. Sometimes just having guests will set him back for a couple of days. Although I cannot--and would not--keep him in a cocoon, I do try to keep his life as quiet and routine as possible.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:58 am

I also noticed this summer that my dad would get very fatigued from a 10-minute trip to the local Dairy Queen, or a quick trip to a store, where he'd sit in the car for a couple of minutes while I ran in and bought what he wanted. He also gets fatigued with visitors, although he loves to have people there. My son was with him all day yesterday and said my dad was so exhausted by 3:30 he was sound asleep. I think that just trying to be alert and trying to communicate is very exhausting for him at this stage. He wasn't like this last fall.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:49 am

Hi Paula,
I noticed with my husband that even with a small group of familiar faces if we talked at once or laughed too loudly he would get agitated and say "get me out of here" and try to leave. I found that quiet voices one-on-one is best.
Garnet,
Just yesterday we realized how taxing the transfers are. My husband is in an ALF for 3 days now and his son and I decided he might want to go for a drive as he had not been outside much since his injury of almost a month ago. The debacle of putting him in the car (will not attempt that for a long time to come), going for a 20 minute drive that included a drive-thru milkshake, taking him back out of the car (into a wheelchair) and back into the house absolutely sapped his strength and he slept for the next 4 hours, right thru his dinnertime.
I guess it's time to rethink the realistic possibilities again. With each phase we have to rule out so much of our 'previous life' and come up with a new strategy. Car rides and food treats were pretty much Ken's last enjoyable highlights for his day. Now with his swallowing difficulties and inability to walk what does he have to look forward to? Just when you think they are living the worst this disease has to offer it digs down and causes more grief. Sorry, once again I got carried away.... Sher

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:25 am

Sher - about the only treat we can give my dad these days is to take him his favorite foods and eat with him in the library at the ALF. He will eat a lot if he has a crabcake meal and gets to eat somewhere other than the dementia unit. That's about as much as we can do these days to brighten his day. Sometimes he will allow a visitor to take him for a ride around the parking lot in his wheelchair, but even those little outings are too much for him after about 5 minutes. His world gets increasingly smaller. Once he can't even be lifted out of his bed he will have to move to a NH or respite house, and he is in his bed about 23 hr. a day now.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:20 pm

I noticed some time ago that rushing, crowds and noise deffinitely add to Frank's confusion. Although we can have 3-4 quiet days at home and have the same problems. Our oldest daughter has done a couple triathlons that start very early so we're leaving the house by 5:30AM. All of the above totally confuse him but he does seem to be please with something, even if it's stopping for a donut on the way home. If there is something important, that we would have gone to in our good years, I try to get us there. My neice invited us to dinner last night for 6:00 and it's over an hours drive, Frank said he'd like to go, we did and he was none for the worse. I know at some point Frank won't be able to attend and I may not be able to go either, but until then, I keep trying to get us out. Good luck to everyone, this can be a very lonely life.
Take care, Gerry

Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:21 pm

I can't take my MIL anyplace other than the doctor, or it is just too much. She hasn't been able to follow a menu for years, so going out to eat was one of the first things she had to give up. I think shopping is overstimulating with all of the senses kicking into overdrive. We keep her on a routine and she is comfortable with this. Weekdays is great because she has her regular shows and can tell time by what show is on TV. The weekends are hard because she can't find her shows and will sit for hours flipping through the channels. Telling her that it is Saturday or Sunday gets her even more confused. We let her flip and eventually she'll doze in her chair. You are all correct in the observation that having visitors can be overwhelming. Our weekday caregiver is great about keeping to the routine and letting my MIL drive the train. I'm lucky I can get out of the house and maintain a career. Please recharge your batteries from time to time. It helps. :)

Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:14 pm

The first time I noticed any issues with Mom, other than her tremors, was at the nearby mall. It's so familiar to us, and to her, but she started getting turned around and lost. And it's not that big a mall. I used to get really mad at my sister because she didn't see it and would leave Mom alone in a bigger mall (Mall of America) while she did her mall almost-running. It got to the point where I started inviting myself along every time they went there. Mom does get very nervous in crowds and we generally avoid them. But we still go to malls. In fact, we went to MOA yesterday and found it full of Twins, Viking and Gopher fans. It should have overwhelmed Mom, but she insisted on getting out of her chair and walking around a railing - right through a wedding party at the Chapel of Love. Mom loves to people-watch, and especially baby-watch. She can't do it for long, but she enjoys it so much that we try to stay for an hour or so. We actually have plans to spend Halloween at MOA, sitting at one of the restaurants watching kids in their costumes. Sure Mom gets exhausted. I guess I'm not trying to keep her alive as much as I'm trying to make what she has left as enjoyable as possible. Soon, I don't think she'll be able to do as much as even a drive without exhaustion.
Whenever the kids or other friends/family come over, I generally shoo them out around 7:00. Sometimes Mom goes to bed that early, but even if she doesn't I like to give her some time to gather herself before she goes to bed. Visitors now know that visiting hours in our house end at 7:00 and they're fine with that.
Sometimes Mom does get overstimulated. But I think its worth the price. I'd rather have her exhausted than isolated. If we didn't have visitors or a trip to the mall on weekends, she'd spend the whole time in that d___ chair. And, if she could put the sentence together, I know what she'd say to that: "You might as well take me out behind the barn and ..."
Just a note: Mom hasn't acted out with any overt behaviors yet. That could be a game changer. Until then, though, we try to make her life interesting while we can.

Kate

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:04 pm

Kate,
You are doing what's correct for your situation as we all have to and if Mom still enjoys these outings with little agitation , then I say go for it!

Your doing a great job caring for your Mom!

Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:03 am
Profile WWW

Thanks, Irene. That means a lot coming from you. I do worry whether I'm doing what's right, sometimes.

Kate

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:54 am

Wow glad I found this discussion. Really helped me with the reality of my Mom's behavior. She does all that has been mentioned. It is hard to plan anything with her. funny she makes it to the Dr's but then gets antsy waiting of course. Today visited ALF again she just can't handle it much. Like one of U said of your LO when U get back home they sleep.
Do any of U deal with just liquids or soft food . She not eating but does try to drink Ensure. She is really allergict to milk so I need to find some other high calories. Like I said she just doesn't eat. No choking yet but finds it hard to swallow. But that problem has been ongoing for many years she just ate slow.

Gayle

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:29 am

My dad has been in full time care for 3 weeks now and my sister who had not seen him for 3 months was coming into town and was going to "Take him out for a coffee" with her husband and two small children. I had seen dad a few times this week and strongly suggested she think about this as dads condition though seem stable at the moment she might consider just buying something before hand and parking somewhere and having it. Apart from the struggle I forseen of him getting in her car (4WD high off the ground). She doesn't realize that things like this while well intentioned can be draining and potentially set him back mentally also having only been in fulltime care for only a short time. I called my mum to see if she agreed with my concerns and thankfully she did. So she ended up having a cuppa there in the gardens. Routine is so important I agree and it is sad that outings are limited but you make the most of a bad situation I guess.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:47 am

My sister-in-law used to come in from out of town and drag her mother, who lives with me, all over creation. It would take days for her to recover. I finally stepped in and told my sister-in-law that she can't do this any more. Part of it is also the "show and tell" that LBD patients are capable of. When my SIL would call (which is rare - every four or five months) or visit (once or twice a year) my MIL would act as if nothing was wrong with her. I finally convinced my SIL that this was not the norm. Now we can have nice visits at my home.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]