View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 new book on LBD patient 

Post new book on LBD patient
My husband John died of LBD last November, after 3 1/2 years of suffering. I kept a journal during those years and have had it published into a book: THOUGH HE SLAY ME: Our Experience with Lewy Body Dementia. He had a rough time when the docs at the nursing home gave him anti-psychotic drugs, and he reacted horribly. I hope that caregivers might benefit from reading this book; I wish I had known more about LBD when we were going through this time. Anne

Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:14 am

Post Re: new book on LBD patient
Anne,
My condolences on the loss of your husband. And congratulations on the publishing of your book. Is it available at Amazon.com?
Robin

Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Anne. I'll look for your journal. I like the title. For those not familiar with the source, it's from the book of Job: Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:58 pm

In an article on self-published books on the webpage "WORLD," a magazine covering Christian views, Anne's book is mentioned. It was picked by magazine subscribers as one of the best self-published books. Here's the very short excerpt from the article about Anne's book and another book on caregiving for someone with dementia.

http://www.worldmag.com/articles/18270

Self-published standouts
Books about dealing with the effects of disease and with life on the mission field are among WORLD's top picks of subscriber-submitted titles
Susan Olasky

WORLD Magazine
July 16, 2011, Vol. 26, No. 14

Over the past half-year WORLD subscribers submitted close to 100 self-published books for possible review. We eliminated some because they were not well-written or edited, and others because they were too long, too narrow, or not distinctive within a well-saturated area like apologetics.

Hint for budding writers: Find a niche where you have unique expertise. For example, My Journey Into Alzheimer's Disease by Robert Davis (see WORLD, April 9) is a unique work because a pastor with Alzheimer's partially wrote his own story, describing what the disease feels like from the perspective of the sufferer.

Here are nine books that caught my attention and held my interest:

First, two memoirs on dementia convey important insights from a wife's perspective. (They also made me wonder whether I'd want my husband to write about me if I had dementia.) Though He Slay Me by Anne Hartman (Xulon) describes the difficulties of living with a Lewy Body Dementia sufferer. The book, consisting of journal entries written as her husband's disease progressed, focuses on her spiritual struggles but also records less interesting peripherals.

Darlene Saunders' Life Lessons for Caregivers (Pleasant Word) is a memoir of the years she took care of her pastor/husband as he declined and eventually died of Alzheimer's. Her experience had at least one good outcome: "After years of learning to go to God instantly with the problems and joys of caregiving, it is now nearly automatic to converse with God about everything in my life." She, like Hartman, shares her sometimes sinful reactions to events.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:49 am

Thank you, Robin, for the link.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:28 pm

A sample of Anne's writing can be seen in this post elsewhere on the Forum:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2175

Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Anne,
I also would like to extend my condolences on your loss if I didn't at the time, I am sure your Book will help someone along the lewy path and congrats for being able to get it published.So many of us kept journal's but never did anything with them when the loss came !

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]