View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Long Goodbye 

Post Re: The Long Goodbye
long goodbye...last goodbye..goodbye. There is no easy way to say goodbye. No matter how you look at it, it still hurts those of us left behind. Have peace in your mind that you took such loving care of your mother..you are a wonderful daughter. I know if she could, your mother would tell you how much she appreciates your care. Your lives have gone full circle: mom taking care of baby daughter and now daughter taking loving care of mom.
I pray your mother will be out of pain for the duration and will exit this world to the next in peace. My heart is with you...with all of you still on the path.

Blessings
Dianne

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:06 pm

This long goodbye is just so painful. I asked that one of my dad's caregivers help him call me today, and one of them called me back and said his voice is so weak I probably wouldn't be able to hear him. I know when that happens he gets very frustrated that I don't know what he's saying, so I told her not to bother because the last thing I want to do is get him all agitated. She said the last few days no one can hear what he's saying. He's now down to 127 lb, from 235. He's barely eaten in about 3 weeks but the last 2 days he's eating more again. Yet, the hospice nurse doesn't think he's within weeks of dying. His agitation level has increased again, the CNP refuses to change any meds, and I was unable to get his primary changed after yet another attempt. The new head nurse tells me he yells for help on and off most days, and he just wants to see a human face most of the time, but he refuses to be in the dementia unit where there are people all sitting around doing activities with each other. This is such a hopeless, helpless situation. Lynn

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:21 pm

Lynn,
I can only imagine how very hard to is on you being a distance away, when are you going for a visit again ?

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:34 pm
Profile WWW

Will be with my dad a week from today. I hate that we can't even talk on the phone anymore. Last year this time he was calling me constantly on his cell phone (one night in Oct. last year he called me, my sister and my husband a total of 27 times in about 2 1/2 hours). Now he can't even HOLD a phone or talk, let alone dial the phone or speak loudly enough for us to hear him. I just hate this.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:39 pm

Lynn.
I know you do and sadly it is all part of his illness,I am glad you are going soon, seeing him will help you get through all of this ! I often say we can't
look to far ahead but I think you also can't look to far back either!

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:46 pm
Profile WWW

Lynn, I'm so sorry. Please remember that you are doing the very best that you can for him.

Annie

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:07 pm

I am so sorry. You and he have gone through so much together. You have been a stellar daughter and I wish you were my own. Bless you, and may you all have a peaceful night. Nan

Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:23 pm

You all touch me so deeply. Thank you for all your kind words and support. This is such an amazing community of wonderful, kind people. Some day I hope we can all get together! I wish everyone a good night's sleep tonight. Lynn

Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:30 pm

Lynn, I can't even imagine what it would be like to be so far from my mother and still try to care for her. I know it's heartbreaking. You are an amazing daughter and I'm sure your dad knows it.

Would he just listen on a phone call and not talk? You could just talk with him - actually to him. If he can't hold a phone, maybe the staff could work an inexpensive speaker phone so that he can easily hear you.

Mom's voice hasn't faded, just the words she looks for. It's worse, of course, in the evening, which is when my sisters call. So I just ask them to do all of the talking (letting Mom try but knowing that most of the talk needs to come from them). They can get their news to her and she has the joy of hearing her daughters tell her that she is loved and admired.

Maybe your dad could just listen?

Thinking of you often.

Kate

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:42 pm

Thanks Kate for the ideas - I have tried having him just listen but he always wants to ask questions and really tries to have a 2-way conversation. His CGs dial the phone and hold it for him when we try to have conversations, but he gets exhausted and frustrated. It's not like you can tell him to just listen and he'll do that.
Sometimes I get him during a good day, or good hour, but those are getting fewer and fewer. During his good times, his thinking is somewhat clear, his speech is somewhat clear, and his voice is louder than a whisper. I just have to be patient I guess. I'll see him next weekend, but it would be nice if I can catch him on a good day before then.
I appreciate all your support, everyone. Lynn

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2