View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 LBDA and blood pressure issues 

Post Re: LBDA and blood pressure issues
Well, I bought a new blood pressure machine. Now all I have to do is learn to use it. :roll:

And BTW, I did take Dale to the Christmas breakfast party today... along with his walker ... and he did extremely well. I was so proud of him, I could have cried. Everyone was glad to see him and agreed that we should get together more often.

I am going to take him off Sinemet as the neurologist indicated. I noted that Cheryl did that back in September... Note her September 30, 2010 post. At some point, it apparently works against those with low blood pressure and it is no longer helping any Parkinson's symptoms.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Many with OH don't find that the BP machines work for such low BP. They often get error messages.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:35 pm

I did not get error messages in our first use of the cuff. In fact, the numbers were much like the doctor saw a few days ago.

Even though I don't have a medical license, I do have a pilot's license ... so I think I have some intelligence. I intend to use it. Discovering what Dale's BP is cannot be rocket science.

If this was a life-threatening situation, I would take him to the hospital. This is mostly satisfying my curiosity. 8)

Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:23 pm

Leone, I'm sure Pat knows about this. When my Home Health Nurses checked Mr Bobby's BP they marked it with stick figures, Supine, Sitting, Standing. Cutest little figures and I could tell at a glance what and when they checked. Sure you can do it. It gives you peace of mind.

Dorthea

Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:24 pm

Post Re: LBDA and blood pressure issues - Dorothea
I love the idea. Thanks, Dorothea. :P

Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:32 pm

Yep, that's the way we do it. And when you take it into the doctor's office he will know at a glance, too. Thank you Dorthea--I had been trying to think of a way to post some stick figures. :lol:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:47 pm

Leone wrote:
Irene.... You lost me. Whose dad is being placed and what connection does that have with blood pressure issues? Did the website move your post from another thread?

Leone,
I have no idea how that ended up here it certainly wasn't intended sorry I am removing it !
Thanks for the heads up!

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:23 pm
Profile WWW

hubby has not been diagnosed as lewy yet.. still thinking ad, but watching!! .. but we are having more and more hallucinations and delusions..

then last month the hiccuping started.. and has not let up.. 3 or 4 hours a day!!

and this week lots of fluctuating blood pressure.. yesterday..125 over 62 and all of a sudden 87-50!! today in a matter of an hour went from 115 down to 77-46.. then 1/2 hour later back up to 129/62. very scary!! called the 24 hour nurse care at the va and they said cut his bp meds in half and come in on monday.... if it drops any lower than the 77 or if he has dizziness ect.. take him to ER.

every day a new challenge... any ideas or thoughts from those of you that have dealt with this??

thank you~~
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 1-14,released to memory care..

Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:01 pm

This past winter my bp got very low a few days, like 80/50-ish, and my dr. just told me to cut the meds in half that I was taking for atrial fibrillation. That worked and I didn't need to do anything else, but then, I don't have any other illnesses. I was very tired and dizzy so I slept a lot for a few days and it went back to my normal lowish bp. Lynn

Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:30 pm

This is the main issue we have with my MIL, next to the cognitive ones, of course. After several years of trial and effort we are still playing around with meds. She went on midodrene and that helped for a while. The, we had the doc take away the meds for her slight heart murmur and that helped for a while. Her doctor then upped the midodrene dosage and that helped for a while. Her cardiologist added a med and that helped for a while. He increased the dosage and that seems to help - for now. Bottom line - this issue will be an issue off and on for the course of the disease. Take steps to fall proof the house and move anything that could cause injury during a fall. Follow behind as he walks and if he passes out, gently lower to the ground (we also had a gait belt to help with this) and lay flat until his blood pressure goes back up. If you cannot get him up call a paramedic to come help you. Of course, if you need to, call an ambulance to take him to the emergency room. I did that so much, that now I try the laying flat procedure first.
Other tips - keep hydrated and try salting food if he can use salt. No one size fits all solution. Best of luck to you.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:01 am

thank you so much for the ideas... will be heading into the doc on monday and see what she says and then the neurologist next month to see her thoughts... hes not supposed to eat salt but yesterday i gave him a bag of chips and lots of water.. seemed to help.. going to get some gatorade today to keep around too..

thanks again...
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 1-14,released to memory care..

Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:10 am

Cindi,
My thought would be to *not* take your husband to the ER. Orthostatic hypotension can be addressed many ways.
Robin

Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:14 pm

There are lots of suggestions in the article in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1944

Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3