View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Stuck and unstuck 

Post Stuck and unstuck
My husband is becoming stuck--or frozen in place--more and more these days. This evening he was stuck in the middle of the floor unable to move. I told him, 'There's nothing wrong with your legs. They are good and strong. It's your brain. It's not telling your legs to walk. You need to show your brain who's boss. Tell your brain to let your legs move.'

The above seems a far too long and complex instruction for someone with a short attention span and limited comprehension but it worked! It worked again later, too.

[I got the idea about the brain being subservient to the mind from another context entirely---Jeffrey Schwartz, MD's The Mind and the Brain: Neuroplasticity and the Power of Mental Force .]

If any of your LO's are having this freezing problem, try it. I'm curious if it will work with others or if it's just a fluke.

Thu May 27, 2010 10:02 pm

I'm going to try this out when I see my dad next! Keep your fingers crossed that I can get it to work at least a little bit.

Thu May 27, 2010 10:15 pm

Very interesting. I am going to try this next time my MIL gets stuck. Thanks!

Fri May 28, 2010 8:04 am

Frank has short freezes frequently and if I'm with him I just say wait. His body is often ahead of his feet so there are many falls. We were at a wedding reception last week and when we were leaving he went a few feet and then froze as if his shoes were nailed to the floor. Both our girls were helping me get him to the car but he just couldn't move. One of our daughters got in front of him, took his hands and started moving them back and forth to the music and backing up, Frank came unglued and was able to walk normally. That work that day, but I'll remember Pat's tecnique for the future. Each day has new challenges, so keep the suggestions coming.
Take Care

Fri May 28, 2010 8:30 am

* tell the person to count up to 10 with each step taken. ("We are going to take ten steps to XYZ location. Start now. One.)
* count for the person
* use a metronome when walking
* put a ruler or electrical tape on the ground and have the person step over it. (This technique is implemented in the UStep walker's add-on option of a laser beam of light on the floor.)

Fri May 28, 2010 9:15 am

Thank, Robin. We have tried the counting and the 'marching tunes' that I read about somewhere and they used to work but don't any more. Seems that we keep having to devise new tricks to keep up with Lewy! :wink:

Fri May 28, 2010 9:25 am

Post Re: Stuck and unstuck
As has been noted before, Pat, it seems Dale is about a year behind Derek. I note that you wrote about this problem of 'legs being stuck in place' in May of this year.

This morning, I could not get Dale to move his legs. He said his legs were stuck in place. In fact, he went to the toilet and was finally on his hands and knees going back to the bed. He was also experiencing tremendous leg pain.

I finally left him in bed and called the neighbor to watch him so I could go teach the class. I'm back now and wondering what's next.

What advice can you give? Should I be looking at wheelchairs? Is this the beginning of that?

Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:22 pm

No, I don't think he needs a w/c [that's wheelchair, not water closet :lol: ] but he might need more Sinemet [I know--it's a double-edged sword]. You might call his neuro and ask what he/she thinks. Incidentally, have you noticed how parenthetical I have become? :shock:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:49 pm

I continue to give Dale Sinemet. I haven't quit yet. I'm just not giving him a full amount - especially in the early morning. I used to think a dose of Sinemet before rising was a good idea but his early morning behavior has been lasting until noon. It doesn't seem to affect him later in the day.

As for the neurologist, I really don't think he knows any more than I do. I've lost faith in his ability to advise me.

This afternoon, Dale is OK again. I think these fluctuations are just Lewy. Whenever something traumatic takes place (like today), I tend to think it's the beginning of something that is going to last. I should know that isn't true ...by now.

I do think that I will look for a transport chair.... in any case. It would have been really helpful today.

Everything about Lewy has a caveat .... thus the need for parenthetical reservations.... :lol:
(Let them look those words up in the dictionary.)

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:31 pm

We're all pretty smart here. I think we can figure it out. Nan

Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:08 pm

Post Re: Stuck and unstuck - Nan
Then you can inform me, Nan.... because I'm having trouble. :roll: Lewy is just too much of a mystery. Just about the time I think I've figured something out, the disease has a way of throwing me a curve.

I had planned to take Dale to California at the end of January. This morning, I couldn't even take him to church. I feel like I've been slapped in the face. He was too rigid and in pain to walk.

The problem started with a return of constant delusions and hallucinations a couple of months ago. In addition, he has very low blood pressure leading to feeling faint.

I decided maybe the Sinemet was the problem. We reduced the dose and may have caused something worse.

If you have the answers, I'm listening. :cry:

Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:52 pm

Leone - I think the big part of everyone's frustration is that there seems to be no one answer. What appears to be a solution to one person's problem, the next person may respond very differently or not at all to the same treatment. Also, the progression of disease symptoms can vary a lot.
From my dad's experience, I'd suggest getting a wheelchair immediately, but you just don't know how your husband's symptoms are going to evolve. Withink 2 - 3 weeks of my dad's regularly "stuck feet" he could no longer use his legs and HAD to have a wheelchair. Hopefully it won't be that swift a decline for your husband, but you just don't know.
So, now that you've had 2 totally different answers to what seems like a simple question, you'll need to do what you think is best for both of you! Good luck, Lynn

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:01 pm

Leone, I guess one question to consider is whether or not Dale will use a wheelchair. I rented one a few months ago and Derek refused to get into it so I returned it. Glad we have one, now, however, because sometimes he simply can't stand, much less walk.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:09 pm

Leone, (Let them look those words up in the dictionary.). That's what I was referring to. Not the whole connundrum of Lewy. Nan

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:30 pm

Post Re: Stuck and unstuck - Nan
I knew that, Nan.... :P Since you responded, I thought I'd fill you in on the rest of the conversation.....

I certainly wasn't implying that anyone here isn't smart..... Pat knows I'm sort of a nut sometimes. (That's one of the problems with kidding around in print when we can't see the face of the one who is posting.)

As an update, Dale is back to 'his normal' this afternoon. Our pastor just called to see how he was doing ... and although the conversation was partly delusional on Dale's part, it was illustrative of Dale's current state of mind.... and that's good.

I'm supposed to play the organ on January 2nd - so he's probably just a bit nervous that Dale will have a bad day then and I can't make it. I'm thankful for neighbors who watched Dale today.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next