View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Diagnosis? 

Post Re: Diagnosis? Lynn
Lynn, you wrote: "I have been trying to get my dad off Aricept and Namenda since April. He was put on these meds without my knowledge or consent and I'm his POA. His lawyer tells me the drs. shouldn't be adding, deleting or changing meds without my knowledge or consent, but the drs. and his primary (a CNP) don't give a hoot about the family's input.."

Gads, Lynn.... All I can say is 'WOW.' I hope you are making progress now in solving the problem.

It's slightly off the track - but a girlfriend (85) has had diarrhea for about a month. The local hospital couldn't get it stopped and sent her to Mayo Jax where they immediately took her off all meds and the problem stopped. The theory is that her meds were causing the problem.
She is now back home and we're hoping that all will be well. Meds are a double edged sword.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:13 am

Post Re: Diagnosis?
Quote:
Meds are a double edged sword.
They are, indeed, Leone!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:18 am

"Meds are a double edged sword" U got that right mockturtle.
even my Mom thinks she would be better if she didn't take any of the meds except her thyroid pill. She takes them willing though. : )
But if we gently weaned our LO's & then something happens. OMG but not only the Dr's or should I say ER would be having me or U hauled off.
I think what I have learned from all of this is even though our LO has a expressed her wishes per medical directive etc. They don't want to be prolonged with this type of life any longer. What makes U angry is their rights are not honored. Sorry, enough I am sure this has been discussed before.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Agreed! My dad would never have wanted to stay on all this expensive medicine that seems to be either doing nothing, or having negative side effects. If you live in a place where doctors are open to having family members be part of your LOs care team, you are extremely lucky. I wish we had that! Lynn

Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2