View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 types of food 

Post types of food
I am continuing to have problems with mom eating. Has anyone use ensure or something like that. I have a problem keeping weight on her no matter how much I feed her!!!----Jack

Tue May 11, 2010 4:11 pm

There's a local neurologist who frequently gets asked about unintended weight loss. She doesn't really like using Ensure and those supplements. She recommends that people find something that's delicious to them but is fattening, and just go for lots of that. In particular, she encourages the consumption of (high fat) ice cream in ice cream sundaes, rootbeer floats, or shakes.

Tue May 11, 2010 4:16 pm

I have to laugh at that!!!! Mom LOVES ice cream, the problem is that I do
to!!!!! My wife has tried to find a flavor that I don't like (a pint will last her 2 weeks) and may take 2 days with me. I will try it for mom!!!---Jack

Tue May 11, 2010 4:22 pm

I was having the same problem with my MIL. I now give her ice cream and her weight is stable. I also have a dish of chocolate candy next to her chair. She eats those, too. Unfortunately, my husband had heart stents put in a couple of weeks ago and I have to try to keep him from eating the stuff. :roll: Good Luck!

Wed May 12, 2010 3:19 pm

My dad will eat almost anything as long as it somehow involves chocolate. I don't like him to eat a lot of junk food but at this point I've had to give up worrying about nutrition because he almost won't eat anything other than desserts.
Tomorrow I will take him a crabcake and French Fries from Ruby Tuesdays, and he will probably eat every crumb of that, but otherwise he barely eats his meals, tells me they don't take him to the diningroom, and then he is hungry and eats junk food in his room.
It's a real battle, but his weight is now stable at about 149. He weighed 235 in Jan. 2009. Lynn

Wed May 12, 2010 9:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]