View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Holy Cow - 3 new diagnoses today! 

I was going to do that but he was very insistent that I buy him a large digital clock he could see from his bed, since he is in bed all but about 3 hr. a day for meals. So, I got him what he wanted, which included a new watch (he can't read it, but for $15 it stopped the constant requests for a watch). I did get a digital watch, thinking, if he can read it at least it might not be as bad as his trying to read a normal watch. He can't see the display (needs cataract surgery but has refused that for 2 yrs. because "I'm too old") I think his diseases also make him see better and worse on various days. Does anyone else experience vision changes like that?

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:05 pm

Post keeping up with time
I used a chime clock for Mr B. He counted with it right up until the end. What ever he was doing--- eating, talking to his strangers, or saluting, all activity stopped while he counted on his fingers.

DrP

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Dorthea. Maybe I can borrow a chiming clock from someone. Those things always used to annoy him so I don't know what he'd think about one now but it is certainly worth a try.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:42 am

My husband has worn a talking watch for years due to macular degeneration. He's no longer interested in it, but continues to put it on every day. You can find one at stores that serve the blind and visually handicapped.Locally, we have the Lighthouse for the Blind. Pressing a button turns on a voice with the time. It looks just like a regular watch.

Doris

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:36 am

Thanks Doris. What a great item to have! Lynn

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:42 am

My husband has definitely been struggling with vision changes. He has been an avid book lover forever but now can only read for 5 - 10 mins. He deals with double vision, depth perception issues, and having the sensation that the words float. No one symptom is constant and sometimes worse than others. He loves watching baseball and can deal with the fact that sometimes he sees "double players" as he says. He does have a very good outlook thankfully. Honestly, I admire his outlook and attitude a lot-- wish I was half as strong. :-)

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3