View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Loss of Muscle Mass 

Post Loss of Muscle Mass
My MIL has had another drop in weight and in only three months has lost 2 and 1/2 inches off of her bicep/tricep region. She eats OK but has multiple large BM's a day. Also her seizures are back, even though she is on Keppra for this. Another new symptom is that she does not hear when you first ask her a question. And she will jump a mile even though she knows you are in the room. Does anyone out there have experience with any of these issues?

Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:29 pm

Jumpiness, not hearing [or processing] a question at first, yes. Loss of muscle, no. Perhaps she is not exercising or is losing protein. What stage is she in?

Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:35 pm

It appears that she is not metabolizing her food. She is currently on hospice. Most days she is nonverbal. She refuses to exercise or leave her chair. She eats, but it is rote movement and she takes no enjoyment in the food itself. Not sure of the stage she is in. She can't remember something that happened mere minutes prior.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Sorry to hear about your mom. This sort of withdrawal is very common in later stages of any neurodegenerative disorder. It's sad to see. You might try showing her photos of happy memories, and talk to her about what you remember from the photos. This was the last means of connecting I had with my father.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]