View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Went from walking, to shuffling to standing to nothing now. 

Post Went from walking, to shuffling to standing to nothing now.
Hi everyone,
My Aunt can no longer stand so it is hard to transport her from the wheelchair to the bed and now she has her diapers changed in the bed. Its so sad to see someone with this disease deline so rapidly from walking to shuffling to being able to stand and then one day she cant do anything anymore with her legs. She now is contracting and stiffening up as well as having some problems feeding herself now too. Just thought I would share.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:17 pm

Yes, it's very sad to see our loved ones decline like that. I might add, though, that this happened to my husband when he was put on Risperdal a year and a half ago. Fortunately, he recovered after it was discontinued. He also experienced an even more dramatic loss of mobility [and speech] from one low dose of Seroquel. My motto with LBD: Always examine the medication list first. Individuals differ in their response, but LBD is notoriously incompatible with a lot of widely used medications.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:24 pm

Kim - I know what you are going through. My dad had some symptoms and fell a number of times last winter and spring, but he literally lost all ability to walk overnight. He also went from a few accidents a month to 100% incontinence overnight. He has basically been in a wheelchair for close to a year now, and was still walking to his car and driving just before the big decline. Now he cannot even help people help him (unable to hold his own weight with his legs or move them.) Scary for everyone and really horrible for him. Lynn

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:33 pm

I'm sorry your aunt's condition is deteriorating. I know what you're going through too. My mom, too, fell numerous times over a period of 2-3 yrs. Went from using a cane, to a walker, to a wheelchair. We use a hoyer lift to move her from bed to wheelchair or lift chair. She cannot stand or walk at all. She is very rigid, stiff, and leans heavily to the left. In her case, the meds didn't cause it, just the progressivenss of the LBD. Most of the time she is incontinent, but sometimes if I put her on the bedpan, she can use it. I'm having to feed her more often as well as she is very shaky. It's a very frustrating and trying disease, but you just have to take one day at a time and enjoy the lucid moments with them.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:25 pm
Profile YIM

I'm sorry your aunt's condition is deteriorating. I know what you're going through too. My mom, too, fell numerous times over a period of 2-3 yrs. Went from using a cane, to a walker, to a wheelchair. We use a hoyer lift to move her from bed to wheelchair or lift chair. She cannot stand or walk at all. She is very rigid, stiff, and leans heavily to the left. In her case, the meds didn't cause it, just the progressivenss of the LBD. Most of the time she is incontinent, but sometimes if I put her on the bedpan, she can use it. I'm having to feed her more often as well as she is very shaky. It's a very frustrating and trying disease, but you just have to take one day at a time and enjoy the lucid moments with them.

:( Thank you all for your kind words and support. This is why I am here. Because of all of you who care enough to share your thoughts and storys as well. It still saddens me to no end to watch her decline so fast and there is nothing I can do except pray...yes..I will go pray for her and all of you and that maybe someday someone can find a cure for this horrible disease.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]