View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Eating - Unwilling or Unable? 

Post Eating - Unwilling or Unable?
One of my dad's nurses today told me she is very concerned that my dad isn't eating much and wanted to know my thoughts on it. We both agree that if he wants to eat and can't (cutting up food, dropping food, etc.) that is a problem. If he doesn't want to eat and his body is shutting down, that is nature taking its course and we don't want to prolong his misery.
How do we really tell which it is? Personally, I think it's some of both. He has always been a very picky eater and now he barely eats anything UNLESS we get him a crabcake dinner at a local rest. and bring it in for him. Can't do that every day.... Any ideas? The ALF has pretty good food and lots of choices but he still eats very little, and they are giving him 2 protein drinks a day due to the pressure sore. His weight is stable. Thanks, Lynn

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:17 pm

If his weight is stable, I wouldn't be concerned about his "not eating too much."

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:48 pm

That's what I'm kinda thinking too. In fact, when he moved in last summer he weighed 170, after losing 65 lb. in 6 mo. Then he stabilized about 170 and today the nurse told me he weighs 177 now. He gets absolutely no exercise, can't even turn himself in bed, so he metabolizes very little. I'm not too concerned about his not eating much but the nurse is concerned..... Lynn

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:54 pm

Post My Aunt Treca
LTCVT wrote:
That's what I'm kinda thinking too. In fact, when he moved in last summer he weighed 170, after losing 65 lb. in 6 mo. Then he stabilized about 170 and today the nurse told me he weighs 177 now. He gets absolutely no exercise, can't even turn himself in bed, so he metabolizes very little. I'm not too concerned about his not eating much but the nurse is concerned..... Lynn

Hi,
My Aunt Treca is is the same as your dad, unable to eat and move herself. Does your nurse know how Lewy Body progress's as this is part of the disease. Also if you have a Medical durable Power of Attorney (that states he does not want his life prolonged by a feeding tube) then he may be comfortable just to have Hospice or Palliative care (Comfort care for now). I wish you the best with your dad and pray for your strength.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:42 pm

Hi Sebley - we're working on getting him hospice care. That is the challenge of the week. Hopefully his new blood tests will meet the eligibility requirements. He has lost another 27 lb. in the last 6 weeks, and apparently that means nothing in the criteria (this is with being on 2 protein shakes a day!)

Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:46 am

My husband is eating well, most of the time, but will fall asleep, just prior to meal time, and getting him to open his mouth when is half asleep, is very frustrating, I try to keep him awake before meals but sometimes it is imposssible to do so. If you have any ideas on how to keep him awake short of torture, I would appreciate your imput.

So far he hasn't lost much weight, at least I don't think he has, I question the accuracy of the scales, and sometimes the math abilities of the aids weighing him. The have to weigh him in the wheel chair, and then the chair it self will all his clothing in it and subtract. When the aids start counting on their fingers to do the subraction, I wonder.

Mary 73

Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:01 am
Profile YIM

My dad stopped eating again - 2 spoons of choc. pudding was all he would eat today. :(

Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]