View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Hospice turned us down. 

Well, I guess the bad news is that your mother has declined, and the good news is that she's declined enough that's she's now eligible for hospice... This seems to be the case for many. Keep us posted on your mother. If you intend to donate her brain to medical research, be sure the arrangements are made. And select a funeral home. I am always amazed at how many people wait until their loved one dies before getting out the phone book and inquiring about prices for final arrangements.
Robin

Sat May 15, 2010 1:36 am

So sorry about your mom's decline, Tammy, but am glad you are getting hospice support. Perhaps one of these days my dad will "pass" hospice! Since he can perform NO ADLs and has Stage 3 kidney disease, along with everything else, it is amazing that he's "not bad enough" for hospice services! I'm glad you're getting some help with your mom so you can get out. It's important to get away from the stress and strain even if it's just for short shopping trips. Take care and keep in touch. Lynn

Sat May 15, 2010 7:10 am

Glad to hear your mother is on Hospice now. It's a shame they can't do real respite care. It's not much use sending someone to stay with her if they can't actually do any care, is it? I have a young man coming in two mornings a week for four hours to stay with my husband. It costs $18/hr. I'm sure the agency takes half.

Thank you for your prayers, Tammy, and may the Lord bless you richly, too!
Isaiah 40:31
--Pat

Sat May 15, 2010 8:23 am

Lynn I do not understand why they turn you down>?>? It just does not make since, I am sorry.
Robin, Mom already donated her brain and had all the arrangements made in her will. It is almost like she knew what waas going to happen years before any signs.
Hospice is good, I love the health care worker that comes 2 a week. She stays for about a hour and haf and lets me take a shower or run and get her meds refill. I am going to ask her to come more times now. I have to just about pick her up and help move her, Her legs are so weak, she can't walk. She insisted on getting out of bed and coming in the living room and then sleeps all day. At night it gets worse. I am still working on having someone come in. I tried a few agencys and they just don't follow up. To me that is not a good example of there work ethics so I don't bother calling them back. My social worker from hospice is getting in touch with someone and I think that will work out.
My Heart and Prayers are with all of you, We are getting stronger in this!
Tammy

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Sat May 15, 2010 9:23 am

Even though someone may state in their will that they want to donate their brain, you still have to make the arrangements for this. Many brain banks have stopped accepting brains. I learned of two cases this month where two universities (UPenn and UCSD) had initially told people "we want your brain" but when the person died, the family called the universities and were told "we don't have any money to accept the brain." One case got worked out. In the other case, the woman's brain could not be donated. Of course the family was very upset that it failed the woman's wish.

Sat May 15, 2010 10:23 am

Tammy

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Sat May 15, 2010 11:20 am

Post Brain
If a brain can be donated, that's great. My LO has always said that she would like to leave her body to science if she can. Unfortunately, we don't have an opportunity to donate her brain locally (or in Seattle). So, I recently did some research and found out that there is a local pathologist who is a neurologist with good experience with brain autopsy and will do one for $600. It is my family's wish to know what types of dementia show up after my LO's death. Since we are spending down her money, I have prepaid.

At the very least, I will be able to tell the doctors who have worked so hard with us what the confirmed diagnosis is after my LO has passed. And I want to know for sure the disease that I have fought so hard.

Sat May 15, 2010 11:40 am

I think it's best to donate a brain to (a) an institution where there's a skilled neuropathologist to confirm the diagnosis, and (b) an institution involved in medical research. If you have the brain autopsied only, it is destroyed once a pathologist looks at it. I have seen many cases where the pathologist said "XYZ lobe is atrophied" but then doesn't even come up with a diagnosis! This is simply due to lack of knowledge. This is why I advocate brain donation to Mayo Jax. You are accessing one of the top neuropaths in the world, and the brain won't be destroyed but will be utilized for medical research.
Robin

Sat May 15, 2010 1:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6