View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Pressure Sore/Hospitalization 

Post Re: Pressure Sore/Hospitalization
Thanks so much for all your concern. Since they told me that the tissue around the sore has turned purple (which hasn't happened before) I'm wondering if gangrene has started already.
One of his friends went to see my dad yesterday and he said my dad cried most of the time and kept asking why these terrible things have happened to him. It was very hard on his friend, and I know his CGs also get very upset when my dad gets into his unconsolable sadness. None of us knows what to do about that.
Interesting that I've now had several reports from the nurses there that he is off Aricept and seems to be much calmer and less agitated. Let's see, that took what, 6 months of trying to convince them to take him off that and Namenda? He is still on the Namenda though......

Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:08 am

Lynn, Ten years ago or more when Mr Bobby was in the early stages of the illness, his neurologist gave him Aricept. He began having bouts of crying. I took him off it and the crying ceased, never to start again. Six years later other symptoms began showing up and in 2008 he was prescribed the Exelon Patch which he tolerated quite well. He was also on the Namenda all the way to the end. I thought our experience might help you decide whether to let your dad have the patch and also keep the Namenda. I'm pleased it was made availavle for Mr Bobby. Its so difficult to know what to do. Keep trying. I'm so sorry about the pressure sore.

Dorthea

Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:36 am

Emotional incontinence is well-treated by many antidepressants or mood stabilizers. Perhaps if your father is already on one of those, the dose can be increased.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:36 pm

My dad is still on Namenda, has been off Aricept for about a month, has been on anti-depressants and anti anxiety meds for over a year (and maybe that does need to be increased again.)
"It is so hard to know what to do" - doesn't that just about sum it all up!?
Thanks ladies. I'll talk with the nurse again tomorrow. His CG today says his pressure sore is no better than it was 3 days ago, despite the new antibiotics. So, I'm trying to figure out how to get back to the East Coast early if things don't show some improvement soon.
Have a good night, Lynn

Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:20 pm

Lynn, it could be that the main reason for the antibiotics is to keep the ulcer from causing sepsis--blood poisoning. That's what my stepdaughter died from.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:57 pm

Let's hope he doesn't die from an infection, but realistically, given his lack of nutrition, age and overall poor health, I am trying to prepare myself for the worst. I thought she'd tell me today that he was a little better, but that wasn't the case unfortunately.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:14 am

Just talked with one of my dad's nurses and she says his pressure sore is no better, his health is declining. She says that for the past 4 days she has seen a big decline each day. I will talk with the hospice nurse and wound care nurse tomorrow to see how he is. I hope the airlines are good about squeezing one more person on board - I'm a long way from MD right now and due to fly back a week from tomorrow. I'm thinking a week may be too long.......

Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:32 pm

Lynn, in my experience, airlines are very accommodating if you tell them the situation. It's worth a try. God bless!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks Pat. 2 years ago this week we didn't get back in time for our very close friend who was dying of cancer (multiple myeloma). The day after we flew back was the day my husband and I were going to spend the day with him while his wife did some shopping. We got the call at the airport, just before boarding that he'd died, so I am feeling especially anxious about getting back to my dad. I hope I make it back in time. Lynn

Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:49 pm

Lynn,
Is there an in-patient hospice facility nearby where your father could be moved?
Robin

Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:33 pm

Lynn,
I was getting ready to reply tonight to your most recent post but I see you've now deleted it. As I recall, you said one in-patient hospice facility does not take dementia patients. Your father has lots of diagnoses and not all of them are dementia. Perhaps you could use one of those other diagnoses to get him admitted. If your father is sleeping 22+ hours a day and eating/drinking less than a 1/2 cup a day, I think your next trip there would be a good time to move him.
Robin

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:59 pm

Robin, I'm not sure why Lynn would want to move her father at this late stage, if he has hospice at the ALF and they are willing to do end-stage care????

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:28 am

In-patient hospice facilities have lots to offer.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:49 am

My dad would have to be moved to another town's hospice home, where he wouldn't know anyone, all of his CGs would be strangers, and I'm thinking that would be extremely disruptive for him in his remaining weeks. He has hospice people coming in every day now, plus his familiar ALF folks.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:29 am

My dad is sleeping all the time now, although they can arouse him to try to feed him. They said they will not try to sit him in his wheelchair and take him to meals anymore - he no longer has the stamina to sit in the wheelchair, even for a few minutes. Pressure still no better, despite antibiotics, with more discolored skin. I suppose if he is sleeping a lot, that is a good thing given his poor state of health. Lynn

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next