View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Pressure Sore/Hospitalization 

Post Re: Pressure Sore/Hospitalization
Lynn,
That's your best bet trying to get someone to look in on your Dad, that way you can trust what you are being told, They really need to keep him off the area more, I know that isn't always easy but they have to try, 10 months is a long time!

Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:20 pm
Profile WWW

Irene, you are right. And he also needs to be well hydrated and well nourished in order to heal, as well.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:27 pm

Yes it is a long time! He has just about quit eating and drinks a little but not much. I think he's shutting down. At least today the pain meds seem to be working - his friend and 2 nurses have told me he's much calmer today, not angry and acting out. But one of his nurses says he looks grey, and also when they tried to wake him up this morning he didn't respond to voice or touch for a while. They have had hospice bring a "comfort pack" and he's been prescribed an additional pain killer as needed. There's a new head nurse who's only been there a few days and so far she sounds great. I hope she is someone I can count on like the nurse who quit a few months ago who was really good.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:34 pm

Is your father still at the same facility?

Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Yes - I've been told he is too frail and ill to transport here. We do have the option at some point of having him go to a hospice house but I don't know if the move would be even more disruptive than just keeping him where he is. I wanted to bring him here but guess that just isn't going to work.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:15 pm

Last week I transferred Tony to a Hospice House. OMG what a wonderful place. They know how to place him comfortably in bed and recliner. Use the Hoya so he is not in pain when being moved. I must say the transfer was easier than I imagined, but he is still eating a little, drinking very little. I hesitated moving him, but I am so relieved now because they do know how to keep him comfortable. I fought the fight for 3 years at the ALF he was in, was never pleased. Hopefully he will have the dignified death I want for him.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:33 am

I am so glad you are finding peace in the decision about moving Tony into a hospice house and I agree they are best in meeting all the needs of the person, I am not sure if they are all like that but I know I was also pleased with the 2 we used. The also treated my husband with the care and dignity everyone deserves at the end of their life!

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:46 am
Profile WWW

Pressure sore worse again - the nurse called me today and said "it smells bad, the tissue is purple, we're putting him on new antibiotics and will give him morphine for pain before we change the dressing." It makes me wonder if he is going to die from the pressure sore infection one of these days, which seems like a really horrible way to go. He has had it for 12 months. He's also lost another 5 lb., now down to 120 lb. from 235.....

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:05 pm

Lynn, have they cultured the pressure ulcer? Gosh, I hope it's not MRSA!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:13 pm

Yes - they've cultured it again. Last month when they cultured it there were 4 or 5 bacteria identified. I think they just did the culture today and don't have the results yet.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:50 pm

Christopher Reeves died from infected pressure sores...so it can happen. I heard at an Alzheimer's support group meeting this evening that someone's aunt's leg had to be amputated because a pressure sore had turned gangrene.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:12 am

Yes, I'm aware about Christopher Reeves' cause of death. I sure hope this can get cleared up, but I'm not too hopeful since he's had it for a year now, going from "almost cleared up" to infected and back again, and this infection sounds worse than previous times. I just hope they can at least keep him comfortable with pain meds.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:45 am

Lynn,
Sorry to hear that is so bad again, the break down of the skin is a a really bad thing, I hope they can get a handle on it and that they are able to lessen the pain for him, you did say they were trying the pain patches right?

Thinking about you and knowing how difficult this all is not being there at the moment!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:03 am
Profile WWW

He has been on Fentanyl patches for about a month and they have increased the dosage. Now they have morphine that he gets before dressing changes. Interesting, he STILL says he doesn't have any pain, even though it is obvious that he IS in pain when they change the dressing. At least the Fentanyl is working on a general basis. He refuses to eat most of the time so he's getting just about no protein to help his skin heal. I'll be there in about 10 days.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:30 pm

Lynn, I'm so sorry. It must be really frustrating for you, wanting your dad to be comfortable and knowing that he's having pain. Those pressure sores can, indeed, be deadly. A few years ago my stepdaughter lay for several days in her apartment floor in a diabetic coma [she was also an alcoholic] and got severe pressure ulcers which developed MRSA, causing septicemia that even two weeks on IV meds in the ICU could not conquer. She died after life support was finally removed. She never regained consciousness and at least seemed to be in no pain.

You are correct that, without adequate nutrition and hydration, the sore will probably not heal. I have no suggestions but my heart goes out to you and your father. :cry:

Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next