View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Eyes shut 

I can relate to most of the postings today, drooling, closed eyes, wanting to go home, getting up half dozen times, during a meal, to clean up his lap or the floor before he gets up and steps in it. I also pretend I didn't hear him, his eyes are closed so sometimes I just leave the room. We still can get out, try to walk 1-1 1/2 miles, when weather permits. I'm finding more and more that it's just not fun to plan little outings. We do have breakfast with two of his friends at 6:45 Saturdays. This morning he kept his eyes closed most of the time, but he hears everything that said, and I wiped drool a good part of the time. These are VERY good friends, they understand and feel it's important to continue this Sat. routine. I do appreciate it, it gives Frank someone else to, Maybe, talk with. Lately, when we go out, I always ask if he has to go to the bathroom first, I ask several times. Half the time he has an accident on the way home or can't hold it until I get his jeans down. The laundry never ends. Well I've sputtered enough.

Hi Gerry,
My aunt does everything you just talked about. I can surely sympathise with what you are going through at this difficult time in your life. I too am experiencing the same symptoms with my aunt as I am her primary caregiver. God bless!

Have a good day,
Gerry

Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:14 am

Post Re: Eyes shut
There is a gentleman in the same ALF as my dad who also has Lewy Bodies. He always has his eyes closed. The relationship he and my dad haves formed with him though is lovely to see. Dad will go up to him and scratch him on the shoulders and ask him in a very soft voice to open his eyes and after a few requests he will. This person is also in a wheel chair as he falls when he attempts to walk and he has fallen a couple of times while I have been visiting dad and dad gets very concerned for him. I have noticed that he always seems to fall backwards and has developed a way that when he does fall he rolls and lifts his knees up and breaks his fall to a great degree. He does wear head protection for this reason but I found it amazing that he seems to have figured this out. Dad does not know that this person has the same affliction as him and I hope he never does. It is sad to see the stage that he may more than likely reach at some stage. It is the relationship and mutual understanding of each other that I love to witness each time I visit.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:32 am

Kelli,
Your dad sounds like a sweet guy. "Backward falls" can be an indication of PSP rather than LBD. We've had one person in our local support group with a clinical diagnosis of LBD but an autopsy-confirmed diagnosis of PSP....so it can happen.
Robin

Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:23 pm

I was only going by what mum had told me. So excuse my ignorance but what does PSP stand for?

Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:04 pm

PSP is progressive supranuclear palsy. Here's a website for their foundation: http://www.psp.org/about

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:18 pm

Pat,
I used to give my husband a small dose at 4pm for these very reasons and it did help a great deal!

Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:17 pm
Profile WWW

Kelli - it's so nice that your dad has a friend in his facility. My dad used to have so many friends, and be so outgoing, but his social behaviors totally changed when he became so ill overnight. So, by the time he was in the hospital a few days, in rehab for 3 weeks, then moved to his ALF, he no longer made new friends and didn't even seek out friends he'd knows for 65 years who live in the same ALF. That makes me so sad. He is very lonely. I'm glad your dad has a friend there. Lynn

Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:11 am

Thanks for your kind words LTCVT. Dad has mellowed over the years and that has brought us closer. He had visits from two mates the other day and they had a great time catching up and now they see how he is they are more comfortable coming to see him again. They were surprised at how well he had improved since going from respite to hospital then to the ALF. It is a careful line we tread though as too many compliments can send him the message that there is hope he could go back home at some stage. But I know mum would not cope, and he has settled over time in the ALF, even with the male staff of whom he was originally very suspicious of. Anyway getting of the topic now so will finish there.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:29 am

Kelli, that's funny about your dad being suspicious of the male staff. When my husband was in a dementia facility for a few months he was convinced that the staff [all female] and all the female residents were 'men dressed up like women' and he was highly suspicious of them. :P

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:24 am

My dad thought almost all his caregivers and some of the nurses at his ALF were males when he first went there. I think there was actually ONE male CG! I wonder what's up with that?! He still calls his favorite CG "Mrs Brown" even though her name is "Sarah F______" and then says that the people who work at the ALF should NOT be allowed to change their names all the time! You just have to laugh at this stuff sometimes.....

Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:41 pm

The CG at dads ALF was actually a male. Though dad always claims that one of the female CG's is one of our old neighbours from when I was a child. I mentioned it when mum was there last weekend but she didn't see the funny side of it.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Daddy would sit in his recliner with his eyes closed for hours everyday. Most of the time, I thought he was sleeping. He kept his eyes open when eating, using the bathroom, or going somewhere. But once in awhile, I asked him if he was awake, and he said yes. And often, he would talk and move (not to me, but to a hallucination or as in a dream). Now I think he was "in Lewey Land." He had hallucinations, mostly capgras, everyday.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:04 am

In regard to Dale's eyes, I have a few questions.

1) Is the use of eye drops 4-5 times before bedtime a good idea? Are there drawbacks? Dale complains a lot about dry eyes and finds relief in the drops. I've been rotating the types and brands of drops ..... Is there one that is best?

2) Dale seems to be looking at me with only one eye quite frequently. It isn't the same eye. The other eye will look sort of grey and unfocused. Is that typical?

3) Dale complained about his glasses and his eye doctor said there was no 'correction' that would help. It was probably neurological in origin. Dale still reads a great deal. I'm not always sure he is understanding what he reads, however.

Comment, please.....

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:13 am

My husband has very dry eyes and Refresh Tears seem to work very well for him. I use Zatidor which is an anti-itch allergy eye drop, not just for dry eyes, but dry itchy eyes, and they work. People react differently to different brands so you may need to experiment before you find one that works well for him.
The vision thing for people with neurological disorders is a tough one. Perhaps books on tape may be a way to go, or reading to him, or having others read to him. If the vision problems are neurological in nature, from what I've experienced and read about, there is no way to correct that through updated glasses. It seems to come and go for those I know with this issue. Sometimes my dad has no idea he's watching soap operas on tv, other times he gets furious that someone changed the tv from ESPN, so I know he knows what he's watching. It really fluctuates.
All the best, Lynn

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:33 pm

I'm no expert on eye drops but I can say that some Visine drops have vasoconstrictive properties [they 'get the red out' by shrinking the capillaries] and I wouldn't use that type as they could dry the eye further. Also, some of the saline drops have certain preservatives that can also dry the eyes. I use sterile normal saline eye drops in my husband's eyes when they are sore or dry and he finds it soothing.

His eyes seem to be shrinking all the time as the muscles around them become affected by the Parkinsonian effects of Lewy. In the morning they look swollen shut.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next