View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 REM Sleep Behavior Disorder (RBD) 

Post REM Sleep Behavior Disorder (RBD)
An interesting article came out from Mayo this week on RBD. It raises the point that RBD is probably a risk factor for LBD, and may in fact be the earliest symptom of LBD in some patients. It certainly echoes my personal experience with my father.

http://www.rxpgnews.com/research/psychiatry/sleepdisorders/article_4493.shtml

Angela

Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:16 am

Post REM
My father has been sleeping really hard for quite sometime now. A couple of weeks ago when my Mom went on a trip I stayed with him and he slept so hard, he didn;t get up to go to the bathroom. He did this two nights in a row. He, of course was very upset about it. He also falls asleep at the drop of a hat during the day time because he is not well rested. I told Mom to speak with the doctor about it and that there is medicine to help Dad get the proper rest he needs. The doctor says that is not the problem but from what I have read, it seems a perfect fit to me. I'd be curious to see what others think? J

Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:03 am

I have come to the conclusion that past sleep/no sleep periods really have little to do with the sleeping pattern of one with LBD. They do not seem to have to'catch up' on what we might call lost sleep. Rather it is the dementia that directs. Some times it is deep sleep, with the accompanying dreams being acted out, and great difficulty in awakening the sleeper. Other times he suddenly just falls asleep, one minute he is with you, the next he is fast asleep.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:59 pm

I have just posted a question as to whether anyone was taking
Provigil. I just noticed 2 notes that talk about the LBD patient sleeping
prolonged. Provigil is suppose to help you stay awake some hours
during the day.

I'm curious to see if anyone else uses it and what the affects are.
Thanks

Fran :?:

Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:57 pm

Post Jack & Fran........
Fran, on the spouse support group site - in the archives, you can read prior discussions r/t provigil. I don't use it. Considered it at 1 point but, I decreased the benzodiazapine (sp?).

Jack, excessive daytime sleeping (somnolence) is also an indicator of LBD. A recent study comparing/contrasting the symptoms of Alz & LBD notes that the excessive sleeping may be the strongest indicator to rule out Alz in favor of LBD. I think I found that study on the LBDA site.

My husband can also fall asleep at the blink of an eye. He'll say 'Let's go for a drive." I'll go get the keys, turn off appliances, come back and he's sawing logs!!! After he reports a good night's sleep. I get tired just trying to make this disease a little more "predictable". I agree with Buev, due to the dementia, they can sleep for 10 mins and feel like they slept for 8 hrs.
Never stop asking questions, just remember a "why" question has no answer in the LBD world.
Best regards,
Sue & Harry

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:41 am

What is the benzodiazapine???? I also know commercial drug names
that the pharmacutical name. Why did you cut it back if it was working?

Thanks

Fran

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:15 am

Post What's a Benzo??
Hi Fran,
That's like an ativan (lorazapam), clonazepam...what we call "nerve pills" in WV. Anti-anxiety meds, quite habit forming. With the elderly or in the case of dementia....they're not a great choice of meds....can increase risk of falls, increase confusion, increase sleep. So, when I decreased those, Harry became more alert.
Regards,
Sue

Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]