View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Stroke-like symptoms? 

Post Stroke-like symptoms?
Several times over the last year, my mother who has a LBD dx has experienced symptoms similar to a stroke. Her head drops down to her chest and her eyes are closed. She is totally nonresponsive. This has happened at least 3 times while she has been in rehab following a broken leg in October. She seems not to remember anything which happens during these episodes. The nurses and doctors think it is NOT a stroke because her vital signs are normal during and immediately following these events. Nor do they think she is faking the symptom. Yesterday the RN saw it from the beginning and he was frightened for her because it is almost as if she is dying. She says nothing and makes no noise. It is similar to a deep sleep except that she seems stiff while the event is occuring. Does anyone have any experience with this or an explanation?

Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:56 pm

Yes, my LO had an episode that scared me, so I looked on a site called "Wrong Diagnosis.com". It is a site similar to WebMd. You can look up different diseases. Under LBD it reports that syncope (fainting) and transient loss of consciousness as common with the disease. They don't mention that it is dangerous or life threatening, just that it is common.
My LO's experience was while she was riding in a car and she said, "I think I am going to faint", closed her eyes and tipped her head to the side for a minute or two, then she sat up and acted like nothing happened and had no recall of the incident. WIERD! :?
Good luck with your Mom, I hope this helps.
Sallyann

Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:30 am

My father experienced something similar. He was eating, then suddenly his head dropped down on his chest and his eyes closed. After about a minute he raised his head and started eating again as if nothing had happened. It also happened a few times when I was talking to him - I just thought I was boring him LOL He always snaps out of it fairly quickly and neither remembers it or has any ill effects.

Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:22 pm
My husband was in Hospice house 1 month before he passed just so we could make a move that I thought would enhance our lives with my help , we had a day where he became very unresponsive for a total of 3 hours, there was speculation on the medical staff there but nothing for sure, this only happened once that I am aware of , I never did find out what happened and I was able to bring him home for 3 weeks into our new home, but he did make a return trip to Hospice for a week and I took him home just days before he passed, LBD sure is a crazy illness. :(

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:02 am

Dear Friends, A common feature in LBD is something that looks like TIA or stroke. This has happened to my mom twice. You probably know that fluctuating blood pressure occurs frequently in both LBD and Parkinson's. Drastic drops in the BP cause what looks like strokes - some people just "blank out," others become rigid or garble speech. This may pass in minutes or in an hour or two - then they seem okay. Most don't have recall of the episodes. After the first episode and a cardio work-up showed no heart damage, we did not go to the ER for the second event.

And just plain blanking out (dropping head, blank stare, hard to get their attention, brief "loss" of speech, etc.) is also common in both LBD and in later PD.

Be sure to have your LOs checked for cardiovascular issues and monitor BP to rule out related problems.

Peace, Lin

Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:23 pm

Great information- very helpful to me. My mother has had several stroke like events were she passing out briefly. Helpful to know, thanks for sharing. Brenda, daugther of 72 yr old with LBD

Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:05 pm

We've seen the same thing with Cal. We've made at least four ER runs before we figured it out. It's like he's overcome with sudden irresistible sleepiness. He does not respond to familiar voices, but at the same time, he doesn't experience a significant drop in blood pressure or pulse rate. There's no weakness after he wakes up, and he doesn't have any memory of the event, either.

Since we've correctly titrated the Provigil (modafinil) and Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine), the episodes have disappeared. We did find that it was not worth trying to wake him up. We just let him sleep, because he could wake up cranky from people trying to wake him up.

I think these attacks are way more alarming for loved ones than the person with LBD; in Cal's case, it's quite alarming for the other people in his retirement community when it happens in the dining room - it sets them off as much as wandering through the place in a Grim Reaper costume would.

Eric

Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]