View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Sudden onset? 

My dad was diagnosed with LBD in Oct. He had had a bad fall in Dec. of 04. They gave him narcotics for the pain and that is when our journey really began. He was hallucinating, his memory was impaired and at first we thought it was directly related to the fall. It continued over the past couple of years but in June of this year it started really getting bad. He was seeing people in his house, acting out dreams, he had started shuffling and was basically out of it a lot of the time. We finally got him in to see a neurologist that diagnosed him with REM sleep disorder and LBD. Since then his decline has been very rapid. He too had cataract surgery, his eyes are fine and he was cleared to drive but we had to contact the DMV and request a hearing and they had him surrender his license. The chance he would hurt someone, my mother, himself or a bystander was too great. He still asks for his drivers license. Since October we have put my dad in adult day care 5 days a week - all day. This is a big help to my mother his caretaker but he also seems to thrive with routine, it really helps. He wears a gps device from the Alzheimer's Assn - because when he decides to leave he is very quick and gets very far. We have made arrangements for him at a dementia care assisted living for when the time comes when my mother can no longer handle him. It is a terrible disease, it is fast and yet it fluctuates. They seem to know you and yet are out of touch. One day they are stiff limbed and the next fully mobile. One day incontinent and the next fine. Did the drugs speed up what is happening to your father? Who knows for sure - I think that my dad has probably had this coming on for a long time but the drugs may have diminished his ability to compensate. All I know for sure is that this forum is a big help, I've been a reader but never a poster, and that there is some help out there but you have to dig for it. If he is a veteran please check with the VA because they can help. Hang in there. Kani

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:19 am
I just wanted to welcome you to the Lewy Body Forums!

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2