View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Is this a new Symptom????? 

Post Is this a new Symptom?????
Hi everyone - haven't been on in awhile, very busy taking care of Mom. We had a new symptom this morning, or at least we think so. Mom woke up and her right hand was swollen 2x's the size of the other one. She was put on more Norvasc (blood pressure med) a week ago because of an episode of very high bl. pressure. Called hospice nurse at 7am, they arrived at 9:30 am. Said circulation was good, blood pressure was good, heart rate was good. They called mom's DR. and Dr. called me back an hour later. Mom's swelling had reduced quite a bit where I could see her Knuckles again but 2 of her fingers are numb. Nurse at Dr.'s office said to keep it elevated and watch to see if swelling got worse and had was hard and hot to call them back to rule out blood clot. Hand has gone down quite a bit this afternoon but still a little swollen. There is no bruising and Mom bruises easily so I know she did not bang it and it doesn't hurt to move it just feels tight and numbness in 2 fingers. Has anyone heard this one before or is this just a flukey thing..........Thanks Shelley

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:52 pm

I know my Mom goes to sleep and doesn't move all night. Could she have had her arm or hand under her body in a way that cut off her circulation? If it's resolved maybe it was something like that.
Just a thought.
Sallyann

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:16 pm

Thanks for the email Sallyann. Unfortunately its not positional, Hospice Dr. says it is progression of her pulmonary fibrosis, makes fluid retain in some tissues. Probably is retaining in only the right hand because she sleeps on her left side, always (she also has vertigo, poor mom). She you were partly right, but it is swelling off and on all day too, and her fingers get cold to the touch..... Hope everyone will have a wonderful holiday, we are going to try to make it the best ever. Mom is excited about seeing my grandchildren open their gifts. Shelley

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]