View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Pet Scan 

Post Pet Scan
Hi Dan,
Wow, that is expensive. Jennifer Brock, on this site, just had one done on her Mom and I guess Medicare paid but I don't know how much. I'm not sure if she also had insurance and then medicare paid the difference, maybe she can help when she reads your post.

From what I've learned, a good neurologist that knows LBD can diagnose it without the PET scan. From what I know the PET scan will show exactly where the Lewy Bodies are but a good neurologist will be able to DX it.
I am not going to put my Mom through a PET scan for a DX no matter how how much or little it costs; but I am going to search out a doctor that will be able to give me a DX. My first appointment is in January. I go back and forth with thinking Mom has LBD. I'm not sure I was of any help to you.

I hear what you are saying about does it really matter. From what I know the most important thing is that with LBD certain medications are really dangerous for LBDers...so, I just decided to eliminate those meds and treat it as if it is LBD...I am confident to be able to get a DX without the scan. Personally, I don't want the dye going into my Mom or having her go through this test because I know it will upset her tremendously.

Maybe someone else has some comments that can help.. :?
My best,
Diane Hill

Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:26 am

Both of you are right, there are many who do not need to know a definite DX, there are others that do need to know. Everyone knows their loved one best and what they can tolerate. Mom was early in her diagnosis so it did not upset her. Essentially what they do is put in an IV, insert the dye then you wait 20-30 minutes and they do the scan. The scan itself only takes a few minutes. If this helps you make a decision, I'm glad, like I said only you know your loved ones tolerance. Hope this info helps.

Best wishes to all
Shelley

Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]