View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 PET scan COSTS--$5000 to $10000 

Post PET scan COSTS--$5000 to $10000
I just got off the phone to the "imaging department". Was shocked to find that PET scan for Alzheimer's ( they do not have a separate one here for LBD) ranges in this one office from $5000.00 to $10,000. Mom's insurance would pay 85% of this. Part of me says what is the point. No other test has shown anything so if there is something it will be LBD if there is nothing then they cannot find out what it is anyway. In any case we have no choice but to care for Mom one day, one behavior at a time...........

I go back and forth, does knowing when nothing can be done really help?

Is PET cheaper somewhere else?

Dan

Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:34 pm

Is your Mom on Medicare? I am not really aware of the percentages they pay, but the PET scan can be pd by Medicare. We were lucky that long ago Mom took out Medigap insurance, so they pd the remainder.
You can also Google "Pet Scans" and find some more info.
As for whether knowing for sure really helps, it did with us. But we got the kinder answer. And had the scan shown Lewy Bodies, I would at least have known what to prepare for. But I'm that type of person, I do not like an "unknown".
Whatever you decide, I wish you the best, and God bless.
Jennifer

Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:45 am

Post thankyou
We will see what we need to do. Mom is doing a little bit better the past few days. All I can do is one day at a time. Dr. says regardless of the cost, or results from any test would not change how he would treat Mom at this point.

Thanks
Dan

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]